Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Dream Depot

 Crafting Infatuation

          Being the crafty kid that I am, I sometimes go into small fits if I can't create with my hands. This was especially problematic before I started my job. I spent a large amount of time trying to nullify this issue; but after I found that our local stores were fairly lacking in the craft and art supply department, I demanded a solution to the problem. It's been hard goings still to find an actual fine art supply store, short of traveling to Hongdae, but Dream Depot has definitely eased some of my craftiness issues.

          Dream Depot itself is a chain stationery store here in South Korea, that specializes in children's craft projects and office supplies. The location I'm featuring is two stories of amazing and is filled floor to ceiling with merchandise.Whenever I'm in need of an inexpensive creative pick me up, I always travel back. It's located shortly out of Osan Air Base and is about twenty to thirty minutes from our current home in Anjeong-ri. There is another location closer to the Humphreys Garrison in Anjeong; near a Lotteria, Gag Story, and Harue bakery (this must be so confusing), but the Osan location has more items and is a little less crowded (which will be hard to believe in the following photos). If you ever feel like getting crafty, want a special touch to your paperwork and pens, or need some busy work for little (or big) hands, I recommend stopping by.




        The first trip we made here, we almost passed it. Like most shops we search for, it comes off small and unassuming in its surroundings. Just in front of this store is a massive hospital, and the traffic was extremely distracting. Making this trip was much easier a second time. I've now come to love their Bright (read: less than good) Logo as a beacon in the madness that is Korean side streets.




Walking up to the front door greets you with the custom cuteness you'll find inside. Racks of stickers and stationery flanks either side of the door.The colours are inviting from the dreary, rainy outside~!



          When I said floor to ceiling, I was being a bit literal. There's boxes that crowd the floor of the aisles you walk through and shelves along the walls that greet the roof at the top. Sometimes it's a little difficult to navigate because there is so much merchandise (if you're a little big like myself), but it adds to the charm.




           This Store  has a little bit of everything, so it's really fun to search through. I think if you're looking for something specific without knowing it's location you may have a really hard time, but if you're looking for something fun, you'll find plenty of options all piled in with everything. This store was very fun to go through and get pictures and I hope you indulge all the silly shots that I got.



          This photo encompasses half of the upstairs of the shop. It is the floor you walk in to and the other is in the basement. It focuses heavily on the office supply side of everything.I found it so amazing how different the supplies are and just how many options they have to choose from. I can honestly say not many things make me as happy as a good pen on good paper. Being here was my kind of a mundane amusement park!



          Just look at all those pens! I must have tried out at least half of them. The variety was so different and nice, and everything was of really good quality. It was a pleasant surprise because other similar stores wont follow the formula of function then form, and will just jump ahead to making a cute design printed on a plastic tube of frustration. It bothers me very much when pens stop working with so much ink left; because I use them so often and for so many things! I couldn't help but buy some of the cuter coloured ballpoints. I also procured some gel roller balls that have changed my drawing and paperwork for the better, forever!



           Something I feel South Korea should be well known for is making things homemade and original. Just about anywhere you go you'll finds all kinds of cute wrapping papers and accessories for presents. This store is obviously not an exception. Above you can see a basket of miscellaneous bows, and below you can see various rolls of wrapping paper. South Korea is a giving country and I find that very endearing. Every time I do a favour for someone, it seems that I get a little snack as thank you. More often than not it is also put in wrapping paper or a cute bag. Its a very nice thing to receive  Even my husband fell into its charms; Specifically on my last birthday,  when he decided to put every thing in bags with decorative grass, bows, and ribbons~!



There's tons of different kinds and each of these rolls and they are only a dollar or two.



          My favourite part of all is downstairs. Downstairs is where all the cute toys and crafts are located. The bright maze below, is so enticing! Be careful on your way down not to trip on the boxes!



          Lining the walkway is shelves full of character stickers. Most are of random everyday items with cute little faces,  Some were of popular characters like the newer generation pokemon, but I like most the ones of Molang.



Molang is an adorable and chubby bunny that is completely indifferent to anything you make him do or wear, and that's all I really come to expect from the animals in my life.



          After Making it down into this beautiful array of disarray, you'll be surrounded in a seven year old's heaven. Tons of stocking-stuffer style toys and tricks, more play dough than you could fit in a kiddie pool, and just about every bit and bob you need to do any kind of at home crafts. The Child in me is screaming in excitement, while the adult in me is trying to wonder if they can pass the child me off as some one else's embarrassing responsibility in my mental playground.



Felt and dough and poster board oh my~!



          Looking at these photos works me into a fever pitch about getting back. I'm entirely too excited about the premise of crafting my hands off, especially with our new apartment. Also, my future dreams being accomplished deeply relies on my ability to creative and make things, so there's that.



          The shop keepers here are extremely cordial and happy to help. They seem very passionate about working in this shop, and it made it a very lovely experience. They're great  at finding a specific item, but the translation sometimes can be difficult. (not too surprising since it's a foreign language) nd you can see one of them tucked away downstairs in this photo, among the wares.

          The rack to the right is completely full of ribbons, and beyond is a giant selection of balloons, so this place is really great if you're throwing a party or if you like to live like a hoarder and want things to be festive. 

(I'm definitely the latter)





          Look at all the boxed activities and toys they sell! I've purchased some and they've been a lot of fun! If you need to keep some little ones entertained this is definitely a place to stockpile. The prices on things are  remarkable. I usually leave with a giant bag,the size of a toddler full of bits and bobs, and it hardly ever costs me more than $35 all together. If you need some adorable school supplies, this is definitely your place to go. Tons of Styles to choose from for less than $2 a piece, it's something you can afford and that the kids will enjoy!



          I would keep an eye at what the kids are getting into though while here, because there's some house crashing disaster kind of fun here too. Roman candles, crash cymbals, and wood carving knives are placed in among the shelves, so keep a good look out for the youngest and also the easily amused twenty somethings. Our last visit ended with me having to purchase a megaphone for the husband, that, despite all my complaining and setting up ground rules, went off with the siren inside our tiny closed car. 

          To be honest I will say some of the items are of medium quality, but there are more high quality items at low quality prices. I give everything an opportunity though, losing 5 dollars to know what isn't reliable is no skin off my teeth. I have to say it's one of my favourite pick-me-ups being here after a long week. getting the opportunity to flex my hands into new crafts and having the equipment to practice old ones is a passion of mine. Dream Depot, to me, has lived up to its name.

1 comment:

  1. So I have a friend that lives in the area and I have asked him to go to this store to get me some Korean goodies!! I really want to get some stationary/memopads....do they have those there? I am also pretty stoked about the stickers. Any thing in particular that you recommend there? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete